Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hola!

Thank goodness blogs have become so popular so I could finally do one. I've never been one to get things first generation. Even second generation. I'm more of a "this is on sale because we've come out with a newer version" or "hand me down" kinda gal.

Take DVD players for instance. Two years ago at the day-after-Thanksgiving Day sales I bought one of those $49 versions, and a whole mess of DVDs. And we did manage to set it up on the TV. Or maybe I should say it sat up on the TV, still in the box, for two years. I think it's now time to go out shopping for one of the blue ray ones. Not sure what blue ray means, but in two years I sure I will need to catch up and buy one.

We did get our "new" DVD player hooked up about two weeks ago, mainly because we bought more DVDs (at the after Thanksgiving-Day sale, of course!) and wanted to watch one. Now we're just working on how to get both the DVD and TV to work simultaneously without having to unhook one to watch the other.

So ... back to my blog. I'm really looking forward to keeping up with myself here. Since I can't seem to do that in person. It'll be nice to have a place to record some of my favorite memories. I have no particular theme. So expect to see a combo of old, new, borrowed & even the occasional blue.
Oh yes, my blog name. Well ... it's pretty simple really. I wanted a name that would conjure up a memory from my childhood that makes me smile. You'd think that liver would be the last thing that could make a person smile. And if you're talking about the organ you'd be right. But in this case it's the whole phrase. Here. Let me use it in context and you'll understand ...

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic, for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liver cheese and justice for all."

Yep. That is how I used to recite the pledge when I first learned it. Now, I'm pretty sure I didn't recite the rest of it verbatim. But the only malapropism I remember was substituting the words liver cheese for liberty.

It was probably due to my fondness of the square cold cut (I use that term loosely) as a child. Yes. I ate liver cheese. I am almost certain I was the only kid within miles who liked liver cheese. Maybe it was because I liked to peel off the neat white border, slather the meat with mustard then mash it between two slices of Wonder bread so fresh it stuck to the roof of your mouth. Or back in the day, you just liked things because your mom or dad liked it and you wanted to be cool.

Of course, today I realize how bad for you liver cheese really is. They should just call it a loaf of cholesterol. And that white border that peels off so easily? Pure pork fat. There is no cheese in this product, as there is no cheese or liver in its German namesake Leberkäse. I'm tempted to research it more ... maybe another post for another day. For now I'll just settle for the fact that it's a knock-off version of liverwurst.

Regardless of how gross it sounds and bad for your health it is, I still get a craving for liver cheese every now and then (like maybe right now). I still don't eat the border, although someone once said it adds a savory tang -- much like the salt on the rim of a margarita glass. But that's okay. I'll forgo the pleasure.

Yep, I'm pretty happy with the name. It makes me smile. And I'm pretty sure nobody else in America, or maybe even on the planet, has it.

4 comments:

Denise Rose said...

Yuck! I'm pretty sure I never ate that stuff! I thought you did that wonder bread/mustard thing with bologna? Love your blog!

Unknown said...

Love your blog and I loved liver cheese too!

Catherine said...

I liked it too! And that bologna with the red string on the edge. Not so much now. :)

Cherie Jones said...

I still love liver cheese! My mom would buy the rolled loaf - it was cheaper, but I always wished for the pressed, preformed to sandwich size with the white fat border. I never ate that - YUK! Who wants to eat fat and be unhealthy??

The mustard was THE best, most preferred topping too!

Thanks for bringing back childhood, summertime memories, Tina. I needed that smile today!

Post a Comment